Heritage Images - Wynyard Quarter
History of Wynyard Quarter
Legend has it, Tamaki Makaurau received its name from Māori who spent time in, what is now known as, Wynyard Quarter. Many battles were fought to gain supremacy over this part of Tamaki Makaurau which translates to “the bride sought by a hundred suitors”.
From 1840, and European settlement, more wharves and infrastructure were built. Once used predominantly for timber trade, a fishing post and to house bulk chemicals, Wynyard Quarter is now a focal point for Aucklanders and travellers alike.
These images, collated from Aucklanders, represent a small snapshot of the neighbourhood’s heritage.
Information sourced through silopark.co.nz and teara.govt.nz