Heritage Images - Avondale
History of Avondale
Originally named Te Whau, after the native tree, Avondale’s history spans back to 1843 when John Sheddon Adam first settled into the area. Upon completion of New North Road in the 1850s and the railway in 1880, settlement expanded rapidly. In 1882 the area was renamed Avondale, while the river retained its Māori name.
These images, collated from Avondale locals, represent a small snapshot of the neighbourhoods heritage.
Information sourced through waitakere.govt and avondale.net.nz